Using Thingsee BEAM sensor
Thingsee BEAM measures the distance between the sensor and any
solid surface. The sensor sends a laser beam and calculates the
distance from the time it takes for the beam to return back to the sensor.
Thingsee BEAM can be used to measure the fill rates of, for example, paper and towel dispensers, trash bins, shelves and even liquid
dispensers with an accessory.
Thingsee BEAM gives extremely accurate distance measurement and it has an adjustable sensor beam, making the installation flexible and easy.
Please note that the measured surface needs to be solid, and that some materials, like glossy surfaces, may interfere with the beam.
General installation instructions
Install the sensor above or below the surface you want to measure. Make sure that the sensor is at least 2 cm from the surface.
The angle between the sensor and the measured surface is recommended to be 90 º, but it can be adjusted if needed by 6 º to either side, making the installation flexible.
To see how to adjust the angle of the BEAM sensor, please check more info at support.haltian.com
When using plastic back inside the trash bin please make sure the plastic back is not in sensor beam area. Notice that the sensor must be facing the trashes without any disturbances between the sensor and the trashes.
The adjustable sensor beam can be used in, for example, curved installation surfaces.
Things to avoid in installation
Avoid installing Thingsee products near the following:
- Thick concrete structures or thick fire doors
- Electrical transformers or thick electrical wires
- Nearby halogen lamps, fluorescent lamps or similar lamps with hot surface
- Nearby radio equipment like WiFi routers or any other similar high power RF transmitters
- Inside metal box or covered with a metal plate
- Direct sun light or bright spotlight hitting the sensor as it may interfere with the laser beam and give inaccurate results
- Near elevator motors or similar targets causing a strong magnetic field
Please make sure the Thingsee gateway device is installed before you install the sensors.
To identify the sensor, read the QR code on the front of the device with a QR code reader or Thingsee installation application on your mobile device.
Identifying the device is not necessary, but it will help you keep track of your IoT installation and help Haltian support to solve possible issues.
Note: Make sure the sensor is installed max. 20 meters form the next sensor or gateway. This is to ensure full coverage mesh network between the sensors and the gateway.
Carefully pull out the battery security tab.
Clean the surface you will attach the sensor to with IPA -solvent (isopropyl alcohol).
Remove the tape’s paper cover from the backside of the sensor.
Attach the sensor to its place by pushing it firmly against the surface for minimum of 5 seconds. Wipe the sensor with a clean, dry cloth.
Using Thingsee BEAM for dispencer fill rate monitoring
Install the sensor on the decided location above or below the measured surface.
Using Thingsee BEAM for trash bin fill rate monitoring
When using a plastic bag inside the trash bin please make sure the plastic bag is not in the sensor beam area. Notice that the sensor must be facing the trashes without any disturbances between the beam and the trashes.
Install the sensor on the decided location above the measured surface.
Using Thingsee BEAM for shelf fill rate monitoring
Place the sensor above and next to the monitored objects so that the sensor beam is pointing at the monitored objects.
- Measurement range: 40 mm – 4000 mm.
- Ranging accuracy: ±25 mm max, depending ambient light conditions and target reflectance.
- Test materials used: solid, matte, white, 140 mm reference distance.
- Distance sensing area is a cone shape, adjustable between 15 – 27 degrees, region of interest (ROI).